Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Chase 5K Run

Race: 5K run
Date: October 29, 2011
Location: Wilmerding, PA
Time: 27:36.8
Overall Rank: 29 out of 91
Age Group Rank: 5 out of 10
Results: http://www.smileymiles.com/2011/RES%2011%20WILMERDING%20YMCA%20PUMPKIN%20CHASE%205K.HTM

Pumpkin Chase 5K. One of my fastest times, though it is hard to compare 5Ks at different locations given the differences in terrain between them. The route was on paved streets of Wilmerding, PA and our start time was 9am. Since it was snowing, we gathered under a tent to hear instructions and then walked to the starting point where they blew a whistle for the start. Down the hill we went, with volunteers and police officers pointing us in the right direction. Crossed over a small river and ran through a long neighborhood hugging the river bank. The water station was at the midway point, but no one was taking water on a snowy, 35-degree morning. The route ended with a brief uphill sprint and then I was done. My friend Dan beat me by a minute or so. In the YMCA's gym we had the standard fare of oranges, bannanas, cookies, and bottled water, and then the raffle prizes were distributed. My race number was drawn and I won a free hour of bowling for me and 4 friends. That was the only thing I won, though, as my time was not fast enough to get a trophy or medal. We joked that we'll have to wait until we are in the 70-79 year old age class (with fewer competitors) to get a trophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment