Saturday, April 19, 2014

Boston Trail 5K

Race: Boston Trail 5K
Date: 19 April 2014
Location: Boston, Pa.
Time: 24:44
Overall Rank: 40 out of 295
Age Group Rank: 5 out of 10
Results: http://www.runhigh.com/2014RESULTS/R041914BC.html

This was my fastest 5K ever. There are two reasons for this. (1) it was a flat course, (2) I follwed Geoff for 1.5 miles and this pushed me to go a little faster than normal. I was in a great mood and felt like pushing. During the last half I was breathing quite hard and my heart rate was in the 175-180 range. I sustained that level of effort for a long time but eventually slowed down after my hands started to get tingly. Shannan had said "look for the bridge and then you will know to sprint to the finish." Well, the first time I saw the bridge it was way in the distance so I knew that wasn't the sprinting point. But then much later the whole bridge came into view off to the right, and that is when I knew to speed up. And I did. I also saw a sign that said "photograph point," and so I smiled. It was easy to smile because I knew I had done well. I am also so happy to have run this race with my nephew. This was Ryan's first-ever 5k race. He so enjoyed it that he plans to do another soon. I was so happy to run with Shannan and Kendra, too.
Running a 5k: family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment