Sunday, February 17, 2013

AMYMSA Swim Meet

Race: Masters Swim Meet (scy)
Date: February 17, 2012
Location: Cranberry Township, Pa.

Event #1: 100-yard freestyle
Time: 1:07.87
Age Group Rank: 4 out of 4
This is 0.07 seconds slower than my best time, so this is great. At the 50-yard mark I decided to pull back the accelerator a bit so that I would have enough fuel to get through the next three events. This seems unneccessary to me now.

Event #2: 25-backstroke
Time: 16.95 seconds
Age Group Rank: 4 out of 4
This beat my personal best by about 0.4 seconds. My friends tell me I started late, and I know I didn't do much of a dive. A sore trapezius muscle has restricted my neck movement and I had to be cautious at the start. So an even faster time is in my future.

Event #3: 50-yard freestyle
Time: 29.86 seconds
Age Group Rank: 4 out of 4
This was two tenths of a second off my personal best. I am absolutely tickled to have broken the 30-sec threshold for a second time. I took only five breaths during the whole swim. I wonder what else I can do to get faster. Improving my start and turn will shave off another 2 seconds, but what then? I'll worry about that after I improve my start and turn!

Event #4: 200-yard Individual Medley
Time: 2:56.89
Age Group Rank: 4 out of 4
I did great, considering I have never competed in this event before. The butterfly segment felt easy but I had a lousy transition to backstroke. I started to feel just a little fatigue creep in during the backstroke, but it did not concern me. I was starting to breathe hard by the end of the backstroke and I was worried that during the breaststroke phase I would start to inhale water (I tend to do that), but I only did that once and maybe because I was so worried about it, I was ready for it and didn't let it bother me. At this point I think I was well ahead of everyone in my heat except Carol, and we were neck-and-neck. She pulled ahead by half a length at the start of the freestyle segment and I spent the rest of the race trying to catch up. I almost did! That bit of competition was good because it kept my mind off the fact that I was running out of energy. I didn't notice I was spent until I was out of the water and had to sit down for a minute to catch my breath and make sure I wouldn't faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment